Friday, October 9, 2015

A Message from Mom

I don’t know when it became taboo to admit that motherhood is hard. Call me crazy, but I find it far more refreshing to keep it real. So here’s my confession. Unrealistic expectations aside, the daily grind of motherhood is tough.

Let’s face it; being a mom isn’t always as glamorous as a greeting card. We start out our journey to motherhood getting pooped on, peed on, and puked on. We go for months, maybe even years without a decent night of sleep but somehow manage to encourage and wrangle an entire household of individuals to take on each new day. In later years, we become the scapegoat for all of life’s disappointments, regardless of our efforts. All the while, this fun turn of events is all encased in a nice chrysalis of guilt. “Did I do enough? Did they do too much? Should I have worked? Should I have stayed home?” Yeesh! And WHY do we sign up for these not so glamorous 18+ years of sleepless, penniless purgatory? One word. LOVE.

Whether they came to us biologically or through the beautiful miracle of adoption, our children are our treasures. We have loved them before we even knew them and we will love them through all of eternity. Yes, there will be bumps in the road. There will be messes, misunderstandings and disappointments. But there will also be victories, laughter and joy.

I have written myself a little something to help get me through the tough times. Just a short message I tell my children, if only in my head, to help us all carry on. I am posting it here today in hopes that it may help you through your inevitable rough patches as well. Blessings to you mamas! We’re all in this together!

I will never take for granted the One who gave me to you. And so…
When you fall, I will give you my hand
When you hurt, I will hurt with you
When you cry, I will cry with you
When you struggle, I will pray for you
When you succeed, I will celebrate with you
When you make a mess of things, I will teach you
When you are sick, I will care for your
When you are down, I will comfort you
Through all of life’s trials, I’ll be there for you

Love,

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment